Sunday, December 8, 2019

Izzy's - Mocha Almond Fudge

Mocha Almond Fudge - Mocha Ice Cream with a Fudge Swirl and Salted Almonds
Today we return to the Saint Paul-based Izzy's Ice Cream for their implementation of Mocha Almond Fudge.  "Mocha" is a port city in Yemen famous for trading coffee back in the 1600s and 1700s but today it has come to mean a blend of coffee and chocolate flavors.  On the ice cream front, the mocha almond and fudge flavor combination is one of the signature flavors of Baskin Robbins -- a flavor which they call Jamoca Almond Fudge.  It was supposedly Irv Robbins' favorite flavor.  Let's see how Izzy's implements this classic flavor.

Removing the lid, the ice cream is a deep golden brown color.  The ice cream itself is thick, and creamy.  I taste chocolate right away, but then I taste coffee, and then I taste coffee again.  The romance copy on their flavor page describes it as "chocolate and coffee ballroom dancing together".  That's a little hokey (as romance copy often is) but there is some truth to it.  The almond pieces are dispersed throughout the pint and give me something to chew on while I am enjoying the ice cream.  Izzy's bases are rich in buttercream so this flavor fills me up relatively quickly.  I looked but I did not see an explicit swirl of fudge here.   Perhaps the swirl got fully blended into the base?  I have seen that a couple of times with Izzy's before.  I cannot complain too much when blended result tastes so good but it is worth noting so one is not surprised when they don't find one.

This is a good implementation of a mocha almond flavor from Izzy's.  The coffee and chocolate blend here is especially good and the almonds are fun to chew on.  The fudge swirl appear to get blended into the base here -- maybe that varies from batch to batch? -- so set your expectations appropriately but otherwise this is very good ice cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment