Sunday, December 29, 2019

Sweet Science - Milk Chocolate

Milk Chocolate - Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
Today's flavor comes from Sweet Science Ice Cream in the Keg & Case Market of Saint Paul.  As mentioned in the previous review, they have four great holiday flavors for December, but I reviewed them all last year.  I was itching to have more ice cream from Sweet Science, though, so I looked to see which of their standard-menu flavors I have not tried yet.  I picked up a pint of Milk Chocolate.  I am not sure, but I think the only one I have left now might be vanilla.  Let's see how Sweet Science's Milk Chocolate compares to other brands.

The top of the pint has a deep brown color.  Not as dark as their Dark Chocolate Sorbet, but it still looks like it contains a fair amount of chocolate.  Digging in, the texture is thick and dense, but not too heavy.  The chocolate flavor is quite good.  With some chocolate ice creams, I have noticed that there is a 'finish' to the flavor that is similar to a cup of hot cocoa -- Häagen-Dazs is like that.  This Sweet Science not is actually not like that.  This is like eating a good piece of gourmet chocolate.  I am not making a judgement as to whether the hot-cocoa-finish is better or worse it is just an observation.  A simple chocolate flavor is so basic and ubiquitous and I am trying to decide how to distinguish them from each other.  Anyhow, the flavor is quite delicious.

This is a good implementation of a similar milk chocolate ice cream base.  It delivers good chocolate flavor in a good premium quality base.  As an added fact, my niece tried this flavor when she visited last year.  When it comes to ice cream, she only eats chocolate and she is one of the pickiest eaters I know -- and she liked it!  If it's good enough for her, then it should be good enough for anybody.  (ha ha!)







3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw in the Growler that Bebe Zito is opening in March over on Lyndale in Mpls with Brazilian and Pizza Flavors...Wow
    I wonder if any other Metro area has as many Independent Scoop shops as the Twin Cities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! Their website is up:

      https://www.bebezitomn.com/

      I had heard that the founder is a former flavor guru for Milkjam Creamery. They're going to have candied mushrooms. I had that at a scoop shop in NYC last fall and it was surprisingly good.

      March, huh? I was hoping it might be sooner but I suppose January and February are slow ice cream months for a scoop shop anyways. That particular neighborhood is going to have a lot of great ice cream. Bebe Zito is about halfway between the Sebastian Joe's on Lowry Hill and Milkjam on Lyndale.

      Delete