Sunday, December 1, 2019

Oddfellows - Dark Chocolate Chunk

Dark Chocolate Chunk - Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips
Today is the last pint from my Thanksgiving trip to New York City.  I believe I had a pint for every full day that I was there.  That sounds like a lot, but New York is an extremely walkable place and I've been registering 20k-30k steps on my FitBit for every day of my trip.  Today's flavor is from the Brooklyn-based OddFellows brand and is called Dark Chocolate Chunk.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the base ice cream has a medium brown color -- not too dark.  I see some specks of the chocolate chunks already on top.  Digging in, the ice cream is quite rich and creamy.  Like my recent Van Leeuwen's pint, this flavor is billed as a 'french ice cream' on the front of the pint so that might be part of the creaminess.  This is a bit thicker than the Van Leeuwen's, though, and there is a high density of the chocolate chips which add some resistance as I drag my spoon through the ice cream.  The chocolate ice cream is not all that dark in flavor (which agrees with the lighter color) but it is quite good.  The mix-ins are more chip-like than chunk-like but there are so many of them that they provide a lot of extra chocolate flavor on top of the chocolate base.

I quite liked this pint.  The name is perhaps a bit misleading.  This is more of a chocolate chocolate chip than it is a dark chocolate chunk  That said, it is everything that you could want from a chocolate chocolate pint implentation.  Rich, smooth chocolate ice cream and lots of small chocolatey chips.  This is a simple flavor, but very well done.







No comments:

Post a Comment