Sunday, December 15, 2019

Pumphouse Creamery - Cardamom with Candied Orange Peel

Cardamom with Candied Orange Peel - Cardamom Ice Cream with Candied Orange Peel Pieces
Today we return to the South Minneapolis' Pumphouse Creamery for a new flavor of theirs called Cardamom with Candied Orange Peel.  This flavor looks so interesting to me.  I have always been a bit cardamom-curious and candied orange peel pieces are not a mix-in that I have seen before.  Let's check this out.

Opening the pint, I see an off-white beige of the cardamom base as well as one or two of the candied orange peels.  Cardamom that blends so well with other flavors that it is often hard to isolate.  Here, being the only flavor in the base I can really taste it.  It is good.  This is one of the better cardamom bases that I have had.  I quickly encounter the candied orange peel pieces.  They visually reminded me a bit of Jujubes.  Not the flavor or texture, though.  Flavor-wise, these pieces are surprisingly sour -- "candied" certainly does not mean sweet.  Texture-wise, these are fairly soft and easy to chew (not tough like a Jujube).  The combination of the tart mix-ins against the cardamom base is quite interesting.  I liked it more and more as I kept eating my way down the pint.

This is a very unique, interesting and successful pint from Pumphouse.  It is a bit of an 'adult' flavor in that the combination of ingredients is more tart and complex, but it is a flavor that you can quickly acquire before getting to the end of the pint.  It reminded me a bit of their Lemon Olive Oil and Sea Salt flavor that way.  This Cardamom with Candied Orange Peel flavor is really good. 







No comments:

Post a Comment