Thursday, August 19, 2021

Dolcezza - Roasted Strawberry

Roasted Strawberry - Roasted Strawberry Gelato
 

I return to the Dolcezza Gelato brand for their Roasted Strawberry flavor.  I purchased this pint at the Whole Foods on Selby in Saint Paul.   At first glance, this looks like a standard strawberry flavor, but I have never had strawberries roasted before.  A google search shows that there are recipes for it, though.  It should be fun to check this out.

Removing the lid, I see the expected light pink color of the strawberry base.  It almost has the 'strawberry shake' flavor that a lot of strawberry bases have, except it is muted a little bit.  Not quite as sweet.  I guess the muting comes from the roasting?  Roasting generally causes the Maillard reaction which can create complex flavors, so I was expecting something more different... like "caramelized" strawberries or something.  But, the same agreeable strawberry flavor, just less sweet.  This is, for the most part, a homogeneous pint with no mix-ins.  A close inspection shows a few 'specks' but they don't create any noticeable change in texture or flavor.

This is a decent strawberry pint from Dolcezza.  As mentioned above, it is a fairly standard "strawberry shake"-style pint which is noticeably less sweet than your standard pint of strawberry.  I had a couple of issues with it.  First, I don't find that other "strawberry shake" implementations are too sweet.  Second, when something is added to strawberry to cut the sweetness, I prefer things that have a larger effect on the overall flavor such as balsamic vinegar or cream cheese.  Still, the flavor is quite agreeable and if you are a Dolcezza fan who likes strawberry, you will want to check it out.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment