Sunday, August 1, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Smoked Peach Crisp

Smoked Peach Crisp - Smoked Peach Ice Cream with Peach Jam Swirl and Oat Crumble
 

August is here and that means new flavors from Milkjam Creamery of Minneapolis.   They call the monthly flavors the Summer Cookout Series (instagram link here).  I reviewed one of the flavors (Gimme S'more) a few years ago, so I only need to review three flavors this month.  The first of those is called Smoked Peach Crisp (instagram link here).  They are collaborating with Animales BBQ of Northeast Minneapolis on this flavor.  I have had several peach flavors, but this is the first time that I've had the peaches smoked.  The inclusion of oat crumble make otherwise feel like a standard peach cobbler or slice-of-peach-pie flavor.  It will be interesting to see what difference having the peaches smoked makes here.

Removing the lid, the top of the pint has a lot of textured colors to it.  The base is not all that dark of a color, but the mix-ins are darker in color than I expected.  This does not have the bright orange color than I have seen in some other peach ice creams.  Digging in, I taste the peach flavor right away.  It tastes like the cooked peaches that you sometimes see in pie fillings.  I do taste a bit of the 'smoke' flavor which I have never tasted in a fruit flavor before.  It is quite interesting and unique.  I like it!  Swirls of peach jam are half blended into the base and provide extra peach flavor.  The oatmeal crumble adds the expected crunchy texture and is well done.

I liked this flavor very much!  I have been writing these reviews for quite a while and I appreciate when a pint brings me a new concept.  Smoked fruit can be quite delicious!  Animales BBQ does a great job of applying their skills to the peaches here.  Roasting and caramelizing add complexity to the flavor palate and they're very careful not to overdo it here.  It still tastes like peach!  Check it out if you are a fan of peaches and want a unique implementation.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment