Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Be Positive

Be Positive - Blood Orange Sorbet
 

Milkjam Creamery snuck a pint-only release of a blood orange sorbet flavor called Be Positive (instagram link here) in between their August Summer Cookout series and their September State Fair Series (instagram link here).  Blood orange is a great flavor.  I associate it more with the winter months, but I guess Milkjam got access to some of the fruit in the summer for making this flavor.  Looking at the flavor tags on the right for blood orange, I have seen it used as an ice cream ingredient several times.  The closest flavor to this simple sorbet would actually be another Milkjam flavor called Midnight Kiss which was a blood orange and sparkline wine sorbet.  I have also had a Sweet Science flavor called Blood Orange Cream where a blood orange sorbet is swirled into a vanilla ice cream to create a creamsicle-like flavor.  OK.  Enough talk.  Let's check out today's Be Positive flavor.

Removing the lid, the sorbet has a dark pink color consistent with the color of blood orange.  It's similar to the color of a red grapefruit pulp or the inside of a watermelon.  Digging in, the sorbet is quite delicious.  As I mentioned above, blood orange is a great flavor.  It's quite a bit more tart than a regular orange but nowhere near as tart as a grapefruit.  It hits a sweet spot right in the middle of that flavor spectrum -- at least for me.  The sorbet texture is a bit on the icy/slushy side, but that's often the case with fruit sorbets which are simply fruit juice and crushed ice -- no cream (dairy or non-dairy).  On a hot day, this flavor really hits the spot and the sorbet gets almost juicy as I eat my way down the pint.  I have no problems finishing the pint in one sitting.

This is a excellent and simple implementation of a blood orange sorbet from Milkjam.  It's a more pure implementation than their Midnight Kiss flavor which had a sparkling wine mixed in.  Blood orange fans will love this.  If a pure sorbet is not your thing, then a flavor like the Blood Orange Cream (seasonal) that I mentioned above is an alternative.

Also, as I write this, Milkjam's September flavors are out (instagram link here).  I hope to review them soon, but giving you a heads up in case it gets too late into the month before I write those up.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment