Monday, October 11, 2021

Van Leeuwen - Bourbon Cherries Jubilee

Bourbon Cherries Jubilee - Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Swirls of Bourbon Cherry Compote
 

The next pint in my recent shipment from the Brooklyn-based Van Leeuwen Ice Cream is called Bourbon Cherries Jubilee.  This is a limited edition which I bought online so I do not believe that any local grocery stores stock this brand.  This is an implementation on a "Cherries Jubilee" flavor which I have seen before from the New Orleans brand and from Izzy's scoop shop days.  The Van Leeuwen implementation features a sweet cream base with swirls of bourbon cherry compote (a compote is like a thicker and chunkier jam).  Let's check it out!

Opening the lid and peeling back the protective seal, the base has a light pink color indicating that some of the cherry compote got blended into the sweet cream upon mixing.  Sections of the cherry compote swirl itself are also visible on top.  Digging in, the cherry flavor is quite good.  The added bourbon is not at all 'boozy' but creates a darker cherry flavor.  As I dig further down, I start to encounter larger chunks of cherry from time to time.  I guess this is the difference between a compote and a jam.  I also encounter some whiter, more sweet-cream-like sections where the swirl had not blended in.  This creates an 'a la mode' type effect which I really enjoyed.

This is a very enjoyable cherries jubilee flavor from Van Leeuwen.  It does not compete with the more boozy and larger cherry chunks Izzy's scoop shop flavor, but for a factory-made pint this is pretty good.  Enjoy. 



 






 

3 comments:

  1. We miss your reviews!
    Hope everything is fine with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for the note. I'm still around and doing well. Still eating ice cream, but got a bit burned out on doing the write-ups.

      I don't like repeating flavors so I may dump pictures-and-tags posts for my own benefit in order to post those. Half of them are probably holiday flavors that are no longer available. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Was just going to write the same thing as Mike M. Hope that all is well!

    ReplyDelete