Thursday, October 7, 2021

Milk Bar - Cereal Milk

Cereal Milk - Cereal Milk Ice Cream with Cornflake Crunch
 

Last week, I reviewed my first pint of Milk Bar ice cream (review here).  While I was researching for that review, I realized that this brand specializes in using breakfast cereal in ice cream and I had reviewed one of the few flavors that did not contain breakfast cereal!  So, I am remedying that mistake today by trying their Cereal Milk flavor.  I bought it at Whole Foods on Selby in Saint Paul, but I have also seen Milk Bar stocked at the Target in the Midway.  Cereal Milk is Milk Bar's signature flavor and features a cereal milk ice cream with a cornflake crunch.  Checking the cereal tag on this blog, I find that I have had several cereal-based ice creams.  Several from Milkjam -- Cereal Killers, Monster Mash, Death By Chocula and Waka Flocka Flakes -- and flavors by both Bebe Zito (Breakfast Club) and Ample Hills (Breakfast Trash).  But the flavor that day's flavor most closely resembles would be Coolhaus' Cereal Dreams.  Both Milk Bar and Coolhaus feature cereal milk bases and swirls of crunchy cereal  Let's see how Milk Bar compares.

Removing the lid and peeling back the protective foil (which includes a greeting from Milk Bar founder Christina Tose), I see both the bright white color of the cereal milk base and the orangeish color of the cornflake swirl.  I can taste the cereal flavor right away in the first spoonful.  The base really does taste like the milk at the bottom of the bowl.  It is a little sweet but not overly so.  All the cream in ice cream does an excellent job of balancing out sugar for me.  For the cornflake swirl, the cornflakes are ground up into a powder that has a gritty texture to it (the Coolhaus pint above does the same thing).  I imagine this is done to keep the cornflakes from getting soggy -- and they don't -- they remain gritty which is similar to crunchy.  Sometimes the density of the cornflake swirl is a little inconsistent -- there will be a lot, then just a little, then a lot again -- but it's usually pretty easy to get both the swirl and the base on each spoonful.

This is an excellent cereal-based ice cream from Milk Bar.  This pint should have been my first Milk Bar review.  It's just simple cornflakes -- none of the colorful sugary ice creams of the Milkjam, Bebe Zito and Ample Hills flavors -- but cornflakes are still plenty sweet.  The balance between the cereal mix-ins and the cereal milk base is well done.  I did like Coolhaus's Cereal Dreams but this is my new favorite simple cereal ice cream flavor.  Check it out.


 






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment