Friday, February 25, 2022

Grand Ole Creamery - Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy - Butter Pecan Ice Cream with Crushed Oreos
 

I stopped by the Grand Ole Creamery on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul to see if they had any interesting flavors in pints.  They did not have any pre-packed pints which I had not already tried but I saw a fun flavor in the scooping bin, so I had them hand-pack me a pint.  The flavor today is called Mac Daddy.  I grew up in the Macalester Groveland neighborhood of Saint Paul, so I figured I would pick it up for that connection.  This is a butter pecan ice cream with crushed Oreos for mix-ins.

Removing the lid, I see a lot of large Oreo pieces right away on top.  That's good.  I do not see any pecans, though.  I ran into this issue with their Cookie Monster flavor.  "Butter pecan" is the flavor of the base which I believe means that all the pecans are ground up and fully blended into the base.  So, pecan flavor but no pecan mix-ins.  This base is quite good.  I can tell it is not vanilla.  Grand Ole Creamery bases tend to be higher in butterfat so it works well.  The Oreo mix-ins are spread throughout the pint fairly generously.  They are of variable size which is fun because you never know how much you are going to get in each spoonful.  Many cookies and cream implementations include finely crushed crumbs which are speckled into the pint.

This is a solid cookies and cream implementation from the Grand Ole Creamery.  The Oreo mix-ins are numerous and of good size.  I must admit I did fall for the expectations of nuts that come with the "butter pecan ice cream" description.  It is a nice butter pecan flavor, but no crunchy nut mix-ins.  Once I got past that expectation, I enjoyed the pint quite a bit.  Using a buttery base instead of vanilla or sweet cream is a nice subtle twist.







No comments:

Post a Comment