Sunday, February 13, 2022

Milk Bar - Pie

Pie - Deep Vanilla Ice Cream with Gooey Butter Filling and Toasted Oat Crust


Today's flavor is another from the New York-based Milk Bar brand and is called simply Pie.  I've had trouble finding this flavor locally.  Whole Foods and Target are stocking this brand now, but the ones in Saint Paul do not seem to carry this flavor.  I finally found it at the Whole Foods near Lake & Excelsior in Minneapolis.  When I took the pint to the checkout, the cashier's eyes got really big and he told me "that flavor is amazing", so that's a good sign.  What is in the flavor?  The flavor is based on the Milk Bar Pie sold in Milk Bar's brick and mortar locations in New York.  They use a toasted oat crust and a thick buttery custard for the filling.  They actually provide a recipe here.  Here they fold the filling and crust into a deep vanilla base.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid and peeling back the seal, the vanilla base has an off-white yellow color to it and some of the oat crust mix-ins are visible right away.  Digging in, the base has a bit of custardy feel to it.  I soon encounter some of the 'gooey' pie filling mix-ins as well, but I think some of the pie filling has also mixed into the base.  I like it.  The pie filling pieces are quite delicious.  The fact that this is baked might make is partially caramelized because it tastes like a cross between a butter custard and a dulce-de-leche or caramel.  It's just really delicious.  The oat crust pieces help to give the pint some texture.

This is an extremely delicious pint from Milk Bar.  It seems like such a simple idea -- caramel custard pie -- but the implementation is just top notch.  The flavor, the sweetness, a bit of saltiness, the compatibility with the base.  It is all very good.  It makes me wonder what the pie tastes like by itself.  Maybe I will check out a slice the next time I am in New York.  Anyhow, the cashier in Minneapolis was right and this is now my new favorite flavor from the Milk Bar brand.  Hopefully, they the Saint Paul store can get with the program and start stocking it soon.










No comments:

Post a Comment