Monday, February 21, 2022

Dreyer's - Rolo

Rolo - Vanilla Ice Cream with a Caramel Swirl and Mini-Rolo Candy Pieces
 

Today I return to Dreyer's for another one of their convenience-store line of flavors.  Flavors that couple with a popular name brand item such as a candy bar or a cereal.  These are discount flavors but I have had luck with these before (see my reviews for Twinkies and Cinnamon Toast Crunch).  Today's flavor is Rolo -- the caramel-filled frustum-shaped chocolates that come in a roll.  I bought today's flavor at a local Speedway station.  Rolo candy was popular enough in my youth to have a TV jingle associated with it. that were more popular in my youth.  It seems like an ideal mix-in.  I've seen in used before in a Trick or Treat Halloween flavor from Izzy's scoop shop days.  Other brands also use a Rolo-like mix-ins which is like a mini-peanut butter cup with caramel inside instead of peanut butter.  So, let's check it out!

Removing the lid, I see the white color of the vanilla base along with one of the caramel swirls and a hint of one of the Rolo pieces.  Digging in, the vanilla ice cream is a bit mediocre.  The texture is a bit icy.  The caramel swirl I see on the top is not as prevalent as I did further below.  The Rolo pieces are mini in size.  Refer to the photos below, a few of them can fit inside a single spoonful.  These are quite good as expected.  Quite chocolatey and delivers tasty caramel when you bit into them.

I think my luck may have run out with my convenience-store brand discount ice cream.  The Twinkies and Cinnamon Toast Crunch flavors were much better than I expected, but today's flavor reminded me that convenience store lines might often have convenience store quality.  The rolo mix-ins were quite good, but the base ice cream is where I noticed the lower quality.  It was a little on the icy side.  I think they used a lower butterfat mixture for this.  Still, it is cheap and if you really love Rolo, you may still enjoy it.








No comments:

Post a Comment