Saturday, February 19, 2022

Ben & Jerry - Chewy Gooey Cookie

Chewy Gooey Cookie - Milk Chocolate & Coconut Ice Creams with Fudge Flakes, Shortbread Cookies & Caramel Swirls


I return to Ben & Jerry's for another one of their new flavors for 2022.  They have released two new Topped flavors (Dirt Cake and Chocolate Milk and Cookies), one resurrected fan favorite from the flavor graveyard (Dublin Mudslide) and one new celebrity collaboration (Mint Chocolate Chance).  Today's flavor is Chewy Gooey Cookie and is simply a new flavor.  It has two bases, milk chocolate and coconut, a caramel swirl and fudge flake and shortbread cookie mix-ins.  Coconut flavors are not common with Ben & Jerry's.  They have had a core flavor and a truffles flavor in the past couple of years, but both have since been retired.  Let's see how today's flavor goes.

Removing the lid, I see the chocolate and coconut bases are marbled together.  A couple of the fudge flakes are visible right away.  Digging in, I taste mainly chocolate.  There is a bit of coconut as a 'finish flavor', but there is not as much coconut flavor as I was expecting.  The fudge flakes are chunky and chocolatey as expected.  Ben & Jerry's delivers chocolate better through their flakes, chunks and swirls than they do in their chocolate bases.  Occasionally, I encounter a chewy piece which I assume is the shortbread cookies.  It mainly provides a textural difference and not its own flavor.  Altogether, I taste mainly chocolate with a hint of coconut.

I have mixed feelings about this flavor.  This chocolatey pint with some chewy and crunchy mix-ins is not bad or anything, but it not as good as I was expecting.  I think I expected more coconut in the mix.  Some of the chocolate and coconut flavors by other brands are much better.  The more chocolate-centric examples of those are Graeter's Chocolate Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip, Talenti's Coconut Chocolate Cookie and Sebastian Joe's Toasted Almond Joy.  Ben & Jerry's fans who like coconut will still want to check it out.  Maybe they'll like it better than I did.








No comments:

Post a Comment