Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Milkjam Creamery - Shosho

Shosho - Mango Ice Cream with Pistachio Swirl and Rose Petal Toffee

Today is another one of Milkjam Creamery's February flavors (instagram link here).  This flavor is called Shosho (instagram link here).  The name of the flavor is the nickname for the mother of Milkjam's Chef Sameh.  That's fun!  This flavor features a mango ice cream with a swirl of pistachio and rose petal toffee.  This is a fairly eclectic mix of flavors!  It is fun to see what mixes well with mango.  Checking my flavor archive for mango, I see a Jeni's flavor with cheesecake, a Milkjam flavor with habanera and raspberry cardamom and a few flavors that just add spice (like a mango salsa).  Let's see how pistachio and rose petal toffee tastes with it.

Removing the lid, the mango base has a yellowish color to it.  It is not as deep of a yellowish orange as other mango bases.  Already on top I can see a lot of mix-ins.  The green of the pistachio can be clearly seen as well as some other mix-ins which I assume are the rose petal toffee.  Digging in, the mango base is quite good.  It is a bit milder than many mango bases, but I think that is done intentionally here to balance with the flavor of the mix-ins.  The crushed pistachios are soft and I can taste that distinct pistachio flavor.  The toffee pieces provide something to chew on.  If I focus, I can taste a little bit of the rose petal flavor but it is not intense.

This is a fun and unique flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  After years of blogging ice cream reviews, I appreciate new and interesting flavor combinations.  Both pistachio and mango are often just delivered by themselves, so it is fun to see them complementing each other here.  I have seen rose or rosewater blended with pistachio a few times (McConnell's Rosewater & Pistachio, Pumphouse's Kulfi, and Milkjam's previous Pistachio Halva flavor).  Does it work with a mango base?  I think so.






No comments:

Post a Comment