Friday, October 9, 2020

OddFellows - baconeggncheese

baconeggncheese - Smoked Cream Ice Cream with Candied Bacon, Whipped Cheese Cream and Candied Egg Yolks
 

Today is the second pint from my recent "Bodega Capsule" shipment from OddFellows Ice Cream in Brooklyn.  (A quick note to local readers that this flavor is not available in Minnesota grocery stores).  For my first review from this shipment, I chose Bodega Counter Crunch (see for more background info on this collection) because it had "bodega" in the flavor name, but today's flavor, 'baconeggncheese' is arguably the headline flavor from the collection.  This is the one with bacon and it is also the flavor that Desus & Nero had Stephen Colbert try on the Late Show.  Not only is this my first pint which includes bacon, this is my first pint which includes any type of meat product.  How do you convert bacon, egg and cheese into an ice cream?  Let's find out!

Removing the lid, the off-white base ice cream contains bacon bits right on top as well yellow sections which look like bits of egg yolk.  It really does look like bacon and eggs are blended into ice cream.  Digging in, the first thing I notice about the bacon bits is that they are salty.  They are crunchy and provide a bacon flavor --  not the bacon I usually have with breakfast, but the bacon bits I would add to salad.  Next I notice the 'egg' sections.  These are surprisingly sweet!  It tastes like small pockets of custard in the mix.  I guess that is basically what custard is -- a frozen dessert made with lots of eggs.  I have seen this effect with egg-nog-themed ice creams as well.  I am at first apprehensive about what egg nog in ice cream would taste like and end up pleasantly surprised because it tastes like custard.  The 'cheese' in the mix is not quite as distinct.  I think it got blended into the base.  It is a good base consistent which containing a cream-cheese-like ingredient (rich, creamy and no vanilla).

This is a fun and interesting flavor from OddFellows.  The salty and savory bacon bits go well with the sweet and custardy egg sections and the whipped cheese ice cream does a good job of holding it all together.  It is a bit saltier than I expected, so be prepared for that, but that is not a deal breaker for me.  This flavor is definitely worth trying out if you live in an area that sells OddFellows.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment