Sunday, October 25, 2020

OddFellows - Budget Breakfast

 

Budget Breakfast - Honey Ice Cream with Chunks of Homemade Honey Bun Cake and Coffee Soil

Today is the last of the six "Bodega Capsule" flavors which I ordered from OddFellows Ice Cream in Brooklyn.  See the first review in the series for more on this shipment.  A note to local readers that this flavor is not available in Twin Cities grocery stores.  The flavor is called Budget Breakfast and it is a honey ice cream with honeybun cake and coffee soil.  I did not immediately recognize what a 'honey bun', but once I found the wikipedia page I knew that I had seen it many times before.  It's those pre-packaged cinnamon buns that are sold in convenience stores (and bodegas) everywhere.  Hostess even makes a version of these, so the last review from this shipment was a cupcake flavor and today's review is a honeybun flavor.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, I see a lot of the 'coffee soil' right away.  I was not sure what that term was supposed to mean, but one look at the top of the pint and I got it.  It almost looks like someone spilled coffee grounds on top -- and spilled a little bit of coffee on there too.  I'm not sure if it actually is the grounds, but it's probably coffee flavored powder of some kind.  Digging in, I do taste this coffee right away and then the honeybun pieces.  It's like it turns the honeybun cake into coffee cake.  The honey ice cream beneath these mix-ins is quite good.  I like honey ice cream.  It has a very nice agreeable sweetness to it.  It works well with the mix-ins here too.

I enjoyed this pint from OddFellows.  Honey, honeybuns and coffee make a delicious combination.  This wraps up this Bodega Capsule shipment.  Overall, I liked the shipment.  With the bodega theme and Desus & Mero promoting it, I expected these to be very bold and over-the-top flavors but the implementations turned out to be very nuanced and almost understated in a couple of instances.  I will always remember this collection as containing my first meat-containing flavor in baconeggncheese, but my favorite flavor was actually Chico Stix -- peanut butter and coconut go well together.  The shipping was a bit expensive going all the way to Minnesota, but if you're closer to New York, this brand is worth checking out.







No comments:

Post a Comment