Saturday, October 3, 2020

Sweet Science - Lemon

Lemon - Lemon Ice Cream
 

Today's flavor is from the Saint-Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream.  This is simply Lemon ice cream.  They mention in an instagram post that this is one their original 11 flavors dating back to when they first started.  They also mention in this link that this flavor is 'egg free' which I find intriguing.  My take on that is that I think it is tricky to mix lemon with milk and that the easiest thing to do is to use eggs to help with the mixing.  Either by making a lemon custard base or by mixing the lemon into a curd before adding it to the ice cream.  Checking my archives for the lemon tag, I see other options such as using buttermilk or olive oil.  I have also seen lemon used as a mix-in (lemon bars, lemon cookie, or lemon zest).  I checked the side of the carton to see what Sweet Science has in mind here and one ingredient sticks out:  cream cheese.  Maybe that's it?  Let's find out!

Removing the lid, the ice cream has an yellow-ish off-white color to it.  That is expected.  Digging in, the ice cream has a thicker than normal texture compared to other Sweet Science bases.  I taste the lemon right away -- slightly tart, but still quite delicious.  The ice cream stays in my mouth and is slow to melt.  The cream cheese ingredient has me thinking, is this 'lemon cheesecake' ice cream?  It is not quite that thick, but I do think the cream cheese is thickening it up a bit.  No cream cheese flavor, though, just lemon and it is delicious.

I enjoyed this pint of lemon ice cream from Sweet Science.  It is a simple lemon flavor with good lemon flavor.  They bill the flavor has 'egg-less' which means this is not a custard and it has a thick texture.  Check it out if you like lemon.










No comments:

Post a Comment