Saturday, October 17, 2020

OddFellows - Chico Stix

Chico Stix - Peanut Butter Ice Cream with a Shaved Coconut Candy Crunch

 Today brings the fourth pint from my recent "Bodega Capsule" shipment from OddFellows Ice Cream in Brooklyn.  See my first review in this series for more info about this shipment.  A note to Twin Cities readers that I bought this online and it is not available in local stores.  Today's flavor is called Chico Stix and it is a peanut butter ice cream with coconut candy mix-ins.  This flavor is based on the Chick-O-Stick candy which is a peanut butter and toasted coconut candy which has been around since the 1950s.  I must admit that I had not heard of this candy!  I did not even know about this flavor combination before but a check of google online shows quite a few recipes for cookies, balls, bars, etc.  It should be fun to see if this makes a good ice cream.

Removing the lid, I see a lighter than usual color for a peanut butter base.  I'm not sure if I see any mix-ins yet.  Maybe one in the four-o-clock position of the photo below, but I'm not sure.  Digging in, it is a mildly sweet peanut butter base.  It is tasty, but with not as rich or heavy as some peanut butter bases can be.  I quickly encounter the coconut candies.  These are light in color and do not stick out visually in the base, but they are crunchy and provide quite a bit of coconut flavor.  A little bit of coconut goes a long way.  The resulting peanut butter and coconut mix is quite good!

I was pleasantly surprised by this peanut butter and coconut flavor from OddFellows.  It is a fairly simple implementation, but quite successful.  I may have to track down one of these Chick-O-Stick candies the next time I visit New York.  Until then, maybe I will try one of those recipes I linked to above.  More brands should try to combine these flavors.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment