Thursday, October 1, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Tangible Dreams

Tangible Dreams - Orange Blossom Mascarpone
 

Today's flavor comes from the Milkjam Creamery in Minneapolis and is called Tangible Dreams.  There were pre-packed pints of it available in the freezer case at their scoop shop.  The flavor has been around for a while (instagram link from 2017 here) and it is an orange blossom mascarpone flavor.  I like orange and I like mascarpone, so this looks promising.  I tried to figure out what the name of the flavor meant, but I couldn't figure it out.  I like their cryptic (and often non-sequitur) flavor names, but this one went over my head.  OK, let's check it out.

Opening the pint, the ice cream has a bright white color.  A couple of air bubbles on top gives me the impression that it has a 'fluffy' texture.  Indeed, digging my spoon in, it does have a lighter and airier texture than usual.  I taste the orange in the ice cream right away and it is delicious.  It is not super-orangy, but a little bit of orange goes a long way and this is just enough.  The mascarpone in the base is excellent.  I am a big fan of mascarpone.  It does not have a strong flavor by itself (certainly not the aftertaste that some cream cheeses have) but there is something about mascarpone which I find very appealing.  It makes everything taste better.  Immersed in the ice cream are little pieces of orange -- perhaps orange zest -- these are likely part of the source of the orange flavoring.

This is an excellent pint from Milkjam.  I am a big fan of both ingredients (orange and mascarpone) and they got the balance between the two just right.  The flavor in my archive that this reminds me of the most is Jeni's Orange Blossom Chiffon from earlier this summer.  I may actually like this one a little better.  This Milkjam pint had a bit lower orange level -- this is a good cream with an orange accent -- while the Jeni's pint had more of a gourmet orange push-up feel.  This flavor might not be commonly stocked at Milkjam, but give it a sampling if you happen to see it show up in the scooping bin.

 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment