Wednesday, October 21, 2020

OddFellows - Host of Cupcakes

Host of Cupcakes - Chocolate-Infused Sweet Cream Base with Chunks of Homemade Chocolate Cake and a Liquid-Nitrogen Frozen Whipped Cream
 

Today is the fifth flavor in my recent six-pint "Bodega Capsule" shipment from OddFellow's Ice Cream in Brooklyn.  See my first review in this shipment for more details on this collection of flavors.  A note to local readers that I bought these pints online and they are not available in local grocery stores.  Today's flavor is called Host of Cupcakes which is a pun on "Hostess CupCake" which is often found being sold in a bodega.  The base is a chocolate-infused sweet cream and the mix-ins are chocolate cake pieces and liquid-nitrogen frozen whipped cream.  I am curious as to what makes "chocolate-infused sweet cream" different from simply "chocolate" and I am also curious about the liquid-nitrogen frozen whipped cream.  I have had a cupcake-themed flavor before from Coolhaus, but that was a white-cake cupcake and this flavor is chocolate.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, the base ice cream has a light brown color -- lighter than the usual chocolate color.  Digging in, I can taste the chocolate for sure, but I can tell what they mean by "chocolate-inflused sweet cream".  It reminds me a bit of the 'chocolate cookie milk' bases that I see occasionally (for example see this Coolhaus pint).  I suppose this is probably 'chocolate cupcake milk'.  Perhaps they soaked the cream in cupcake pieces for a while and then strained them out before chilling and churning?  Anyhow, although it is mild by design, it is still quite delicious.  Soon, I encounter the mix-ins.  The cupcake pieces are quite small -- they are a bit hard to see in my photos below -- but they are soft and chocolatey when I do bit into one.  The whipped cream sections are interesting.  They are small and taste like whipped cream (probably because they are!).  They are not super-cold or anything so I suspect the deal with the liquid nitrogen was a way to fold them into the base without mixing them into the base.  It worked!  There are small pockets of whipped cream which are not blended into the base.

This is a fun and interesting Hostess CupCake-themed pint from OddFellows Ice Cream.  It is a bit more subtle and nuanced than I expected -- mild chocolate-infused base which small tastefully added mix-ins -- but still quite tasty.

 





 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment