Friday, December 18, 2020

Grand Ole Creamery - Egg Nog

Egg Nog - Egg Nog Ice Cream with Nutmeg
 

I return to the Grand Ole Creamery for the first time in a while.  They had a couple of holiday flavors at the scoop shop on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul, so I had them hand-packed and took them home.  The first of those is Egg Nog.  Recently a reader asked for egg nog implementations, so I reviewed flavors from Milkjam and Sebastian Joe's.  Well, here is another egg nog!  I have written before that egg nog and custard have very similar ingredients.  The act of sweetening, thickening and churning the egg nog basically changes it into a custard -- and everyone likes custard!  Let's see how the Grand Ole Creamery's implementation compares to the other two local brands.

Opening the pint, I see scoop marks.  That's a good sign.  This ice cream is likely quite thick and the hand-packer had to work a bit to get it into the container.  I also see speckling within the ice cream.  It looks like a generous amount of nutmeg is used here.  Digging in, I am correct!  I do taste the nutmeg right away.  It is quite delicious.  The egg nog base is also thick and creamy.  The texture is good.  It stays very thick on my spoon but it gets a little buttery when it melts in my mouth.  I have noticed that with Grand Ole Creamery ice cream before.  I do not know what causes that, but I approve.  I do not notice any alcohol or rum flavor in this pint.

This is an excellent implementation of an egg nog flavor from Grand Ole Creamery.  It is heavy on the nutmeg, so if you would like a nutmeg custard then you would like this.  Interestingly, all three egg nog implementations that I have had this month have been quite different.  Milkjam was booziest, Sebastian Joe's was the eggiest (most custardy) with a bit of rum flavor and Grand Ole Creamery was the spiciest with no rum flavor.  Something for everyone!








No comments:

Post a Comment