Sunday, December 6, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Spiked Egg Nog

Spiked Egg Nog - Egg Nog Ice Cream Spiked with Rum
 

I do not normally get requests, so when I did get one in the comment section of a recent post for egg nog flavors, it inspired me.  After all, most of the previous egg nog implementations in my review archive are either from out-of-town brands or are no longer available.  One exception would be Talenti which is usually stocked by Kowalski's (though I have not checked this year).  So, I went on a quest and found two pints of egg nog ice cream:  one from Milkjam Creamery and one from Sebastian Joe's.  Today, I will try the pint from Milkjam.

This pint from the Mineapolis-based Milkjam Creamery is called Spiked Eggnog (instagram link here).  I picked it up at their scoop shop on Lyndale.  Due to the pandemic, it was curbside-pick up only, but the online ordering was fairly easy and the ice cream was walked out to my car in just a few minutes.  This is a egg nog ice cream with rum and "dark spices" which I assume means things like nutmeg.  This pint is one of their four limited batch flavors for December (instagram link here), the other flavors are the Great American Bake Off (gingerbread pumpkin), Midnight Kiss (blood orange & wine sorbet) and F-2020 (chocolate and boozy cherries).  I picked up all four and will be reviewing them in the next couple of weeks.

On to today's flavor!  Removing the lid, the top of the pint is a light beige color.  Digging in, I can taste the egg nog.  Egg nog has almost the same ingredients as custard so an egg-nog-themed dessert is usually pretty close to an egg custard.  I can also tell that it is spiked.  It's not the that rum has an overpowering flavor but it brings a lot of distinctive alcohol aroma that fills up your mouth as you eat each spoonful.  It is quite good.  As far as spices go, I think it is lightly spiced.  Nothing to distract from the egg nog or the alcohol.

I enjoyed this egg nog flavor from Milkjam quite a bit.  It is good custard-like egg nog flavor with more than a little of the smell of rum.  I like this aroma effect quite a bit.  It's why I enjoy the Häagen-Dazs Spirits Collection flavors so much.  Your mouth is filled with flavor, but it does not burn. I also does not affect the consistency of the ice cream.  Alcohol has a low melting point, so homemade ice cream spiked with alcohol can sometimes be a little runny.  The texture here was excellent.  This flavor is a good one.  Enjoy.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment