Thursday, December 10, 2020

Sebastian Joe's - Egg Nog

Egg Nog - Egg Nog Ice Cream flavored with Rum
 

As mentioned in a recent review, there has been a reader request for egg nog!  In that post, I reviewed Milkjam Creamery's Spiked Egg Nog flavor.  Today I try Sebastian Joe's version of Egg Nog.  I got it at their scoop job on Franklin and Hennepin in south Minneapolis -- just across the "wedge" from Milkjam.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, the egg nog base is a deep yellow color.  Lots of egg yolks went into making this, no doubt.  Digging in, it has a very thick and creamy texture.  Sebastian Joe's ice cream is often quite dense.  The flavor is just like egg custard.  I have written before about how people who are not huge fans of egg nog the drink should not fear egg nog-flavored desserts because once the nog is reduced into something that you work into a dessert, it basically transforms into custard.  This implementation is one of the most custard-like that I have tried so far.  As for the rum, I notice it most in the 'finish' -- there is a bit of a bite to the flavor after each swallow.  It is not very "boozy", but the flavor is noticeable.

This egg nog implementation is quite good.  It is quite interesting to compare it to the Milkjam pint that I had earlier this week.  The Sebastian Joe's pint is thicker, eggy-er (more custardy) with a more a more distinct bite of rum flavor.  The Milkjam pint flooded my mouth with the aroma of an alcoholic drink while still maintaining and easily scoopable consistency.  It's hard for me to pick a favorite.  If I were you, I would try both!  I guess I like Milkjam's for being so unique and I really like how they make it feel boozier than the average pint.  That said, this Sebastian Joe's pint is more of the standard implementation -- and it is really well done!

 








No comments:

Post a Comment