Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Jeni's - Sparkling Berry Punch

Sparkling Berry Punch - Sorbet make with Black Currant, Blackberry, Raspberry and Chandon Brut Sparkling Wine
 

Today's flavor is the fourth and final flavor from my recent online shipment from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.  This flavor is called Sparkling Berry Punch.  It is a sorbet made with several different types of berries (black currant, blackberry, raspbery) and also sparkling wine.  The side of the carton even lists which sparkling wine is used.  It is Chandon Brut sparkling wine made in California.  A note to local readers that I do not believe this is available in Minnesota grocery stores.  Unlike the other flavors in my shipment, this is not specifically part of a holiday collection, but was also released this fall.  I will add a reminder here that as a sorbet, this flavor is dairy free by design -- it's flavorings and ice churned to similate a 'creamy' texture.  I am looking forward to checking this out.

Popping off the lid and peeling back the protective label, the sorbet has a deep purplish red color.  If I am feeling extra descriptive, I might call it 'fuschsia'.  It reminds me of the color of a Blackberry Sorbet that I had from Sweet Science a while back.  Digging in, it has a strong berry flavor that I expect from something that contains this many berries, but I can also taste right away that it is "bubbly".  Nothing severe, but a small tingling sensation that I get on my tongue as I eat it.  I can tell that there is wine in here, but it is nothing too strong -- certainly nothing boozy.  It balances the tartness of the berries quite well.  It's delicious.  The texture is quite good for a sorbet.  I can tell it does not contain cream, but it's not icy or slushy.

I enjoyed this berry sorbet from Jeni's.  Personally, I associate sorbets more with summer, but the bubbly-ness added a little bit of a New Years Eve type of feel to it.  Give it a try if you're in the mood for berries and bubbles in a sorbet.









No comments:

Post a Comment